Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Fury of Love and Devotion (Poem)

This poem, from my manuscript The Provocation of Goodbyes, is one of six in which I experimented with writing in the voice of such women as Eve, Juliet, Ophelia, Lady MacBeth, Desdemona, and Jeanne d'Arc. As always, your responses to my poem are welcome and appreciated.


The Fury of Love and Devotion

(Lady MacBeth)

The image emerges
like a sudden fever.

In the candlelight
soft by your bedside

a desperate dream
grows in your mind
deep as the root in new ground.


Your hands paint air
the color of ambition.

They poise honor
on a slip of bitter metal.


Velvet words their own lies trace.
In your mouth
they bleed with devotion.


Your open eyes,
they would feed this vision
of justice rising like a new moon.

But unnaturally you sleep
retrieving the prize
rubbed scarlet with his love.

Copyright Maureen E. Doallas
All Rights Reserved.

4 comments:

Glynn said...

"They poise honor on a slip of bitter metal" -- that's packed with so much meaning I don't know where to start. Very nice, indeed.

L.L. Barkat said...

Here's a favorite line...

"rubbed scarlet with his love."

:)

Billy Coffey said...

Velvet words their own lies trace.
In your mouth
they bleed with devotion.

Amazing. This poem blessed me.

Maureen said...

Wow, I guess they like it!

I'm honored by all of your comments, Glynn, L.L., and Billy. (And to think, the only person I ever showed this to until now was a former professor who didn't have much if anything to say about it. I'm glad I didn't throw it out.

~ Mo