Wednesday, September 30, 2009

On Any Given Day: A Fragment (Poem)

A wonderful group of poets I recently met online jam on Twitter and share on their blogs their creative, witty, and very often moving words. One member of the group, Kelly Langner Sauer, shares with me a "call home" feeling about Virginia, where I was born and live. And, like the rest of the group, she writes beautifully and from the heart, with intelligence and experience as guides.

A few days ago, I took some time to read as many as I could of Kelly's archived posts to her blog, "This Restless Heart".  Single words or phrases caught my attention, and I wrote them down. Then, I looked back at my jottings and saw a poem, perhaps nothing more than a fragment, on the page.

Here's what I saw:



On Any Given Day: A Fragment
for Kelly

On any given day
I remember the lovely gray
the color I am wearing
this pre-dawn hour:

a dream of my own
God has timed out
just for me.

Notes: Read these words or lines in their original contexts on This Restless Heart blog as follows:
Lines 1 and 3, "This Is Us: Life at Our House" (September 18)
Line 2, "Rain-Play" (September 21)
Line 4, "A Morning Ramble" (September 19)
Line 5, "Baby Rememberies" (September 20)
Lines 6 and 7, "A Sister Party" (September 22)

Our Random Acts of Poetry prompt for this Friday was to discover what can come from a few inspired words of another writer. I offer this poetic fragment, as well as my poem that found its genesis in Glynn Young's piece, "Sunday Morning Rain", on his Faith, Fiction, Friends blog.

2 comments:

Kelly Langner Sauer said...

Wow, Maureen - thank you so much for the tribute. I expected a simple link-back.

Humbled by your kindness, surprised at your "applause." Thank you for the encouragement!

L.L. Barkat said...

Just taking in the day. Yes, that's all...