Friday, December 24, 2010

Nativity by Night: A Christmas Promise



Geertgen tot Sint Jans, Nativity by Night, Oil on Oak, c 1490

Below you will find a lovely multimedia presentation: the setting of Geertgen tot Sint Jans' The Nativity by Night, set to "Holy, Holy, Holy" by Sufjan Stevens.

Merry Christmas, everyone! May you each be graced with the blessings and promise of this holiday season.



My thanks to ArtWay, where I first learned of the availability of this video.

Resources

It is believed that the oil on oak painting may have been done around 1490. The painting hangs in The National Gallery, London.

For Marleen Hengelaar-Rookmaaker's visual "meditation" on Nativity by Night, go here.

Geertgen tot Sint Jans (c 1460/65-1495)

Masterpieces in Amsterdam's Rijks Museum: The Holy Kinship, Adoration of the Magi (Each painting may be viewed in close-up.)

Geertgen tot St Jans Images at Art and the Bible

Biographical Information on the Artist at Wikipedia (FaceBook)

5 comments:

Lorenzo — Alchemist's Pillow said...

And a blessed Christmas holiday to you, too, Maureen and many thanks for the riches you bring to our blog world.

Laura said...

A feast for my eyes and spirit this Christmas morning! I pray yours is beautiful, Maureen.

katdish said...

Merry Christmas, my friend.

Robin Arnold said...

Christmas blessings to you and your family Maureen. As always, a thoughtful and lovely post that I appreciate very much. You feed my head, my heart, and my soul.

Joyce Wycoff said...

Lovely. Thanks for sharing.