Saturday, February 2, 2013

Color Rejoinders (Poems)

Color Rejoinders

The day of your birth, plums
were in season, the tips
of my thumb and middle finger
purpled with pressing one
after another, each testing
my firmness yielding
to their softness.

*

The night the sky dropped
its indigo shawl, the slip
of the moon got through,
tickling my shoulders.

*

Only connect
was his famous dictum.
So I put on my purple apron
and sowed a field of lavender.

© 2013 Maureen E. Doallas
___________________________

* "Only Connect!" is the well-known epigraph of the E.M. Forster novel Howards End (1910).

This month's theme at TweetSpeakPoetry and Every Day Poems is "Plum, Purple, Indigo". Join us in contributing your own colorful poems.

2 comments:

Louise Gallagher said...

This is sensual
rich
with imagery
deeply purple.

Nice.
I like.

Hannah Stephenson said...

Purpley goodness. I was reminded of that book about "The Lupine Lady"--http://www.amazon.com/Miss-Rumphius-Barbara-Cooney/dp/0140505393