Sunday, July 2, 2023

Thought for the Day

I am the interval between what I am and what I am not,
between what I dream and what life makes of me. [. . .]
~ Fernando Pessoa
_____________________________________

Quoted from Fernando Pessoa, The Book of Disquiet (New Directions, 2017), Jeronimo Pizarro, ed., and Margaret Jull Costa, trans. Note: Originally published in Portuguese in 1982, this complete, illustrated edition contains aphorisms, ruminations, melancholic observations, reveries, and autobiographic or essay-like passages on life said to have been written by one of Pessoa's alter egos, Bernardo Soares. The quote from this difficult-to-characterize book, has been translated variously.

Fernando Pessoa (1888-1935), Portuguese Poet, Writer, Literary Critic, Translator, Philosopher, Publisher

No comments: