Sunday, April 10, 2011

It's Not Hot (Poem)


Lauren Randolph
© Lauren Randolph Used With Permission


It's not hot

air that knocked
me off my feet.

Seeing you lose
your head,

get stuck
with one arm

up like Atlas,
always trying

to balance
the whole show,

I couldn't help
but fall victim

to rising expectations.
Let go the tether.

We can mine
the gaps

if you can
just imagine

the space
we can fill

together.

© 2011 Maureen E. Doallas
_______________________________

This poem is inspired by Lauren Randolph's image above, which is offered for today's Picture Prompt Challenge at One Stop Poetry, where you'll find Chris Galford's interview with the photographer and instructions for participating in One Shoot Sunday.

13 comments:

Nic Sebastian said...

"We can mine
the gaps

if you can
just imagine

the space
we can fill

together."

Oh I like that!

Maureen said...

Thank you, Nic. I really appreciate your visit and comment.

dustus said...

Atlas tugged (sorry, that popped into my mind) —A great reference on your part. Seems the woman is addressing the balloon with sound advice, which makes the rising and space-filling lines particularly meaningful.

Jenne' R. Andrews said...

As ever, a strong clean poem with a powerful image. xj

Beachanny said...

This was perfect. I loved it. It makes me happy with its sweetness and its symmetry. You're so good, Maureen.

Anonymous said...

ooh! very good...

Ruth said...

I like what you've done with your clever line breaks, Marueen, starting with the "it's not hot" and I thought only of hot pink shoes. The poem moves into layers and depths from there, and the cycles, pitfalls and growth in relationships.

signed...bkm said...

Maureen, nice take - letting go of the tether is the hardest part of any relationship...even as we know the only way flight can take place...let me thank you also for your visit and kind words...my husband came home today and is resting...we realize what fragile creatures we are when we are ill...blessings...bkm

Louise Gallagher said...

Like it.

A lot.

Glynn said...

I like how you assembled the different elements of the photo (or disassembled and reassembled them) and created something new. Good poem.

libithina said...

Yes, untethered ~ together nothing they can't do ~ entwined ~ fabulous Maureen ~ Lib ~ @libithina

Name: Roberta said...

YES! Love the poem!! (the photo too!)

Steve Isaak said...

Smile-inducing, excellent.