In honor of National Poetry Month, I'm offering a new edition (January 2011) of John O'Donohue's poems, Echoes of Memory, to the first person who can name the poets who are the subjects of the clues and the titles of the films about the poets. For question #4, please name each of the poets, because if you know one you will know the other. Only one of the films is not relatively recent.
You must answer all the questions correctly and in order to win.
1. This poet's wife was misdiagnosed as insane and eventually committed to an asylum. He never divorced her.
2. This poet was an alcoholic whose wife became fast friends with his childhood sweetheart. He died in a New York City hospital.
3. She mourned this poet for six years after his death from tuberculosis.
4. Both poets, they met at a party, their attraction instantaneous.
5. The oldest of 12 children, she had by age 12 written her first epic poem: four books of rhyming couplets.
6. Many people have never read a word by this poet, though they "know" his name. He was a founding member of a major literary movement, a champion of civil rights, a photographer, a songwriter, a teacher.
Please leave your answers, in the same order as the questions, in the comments section. The deadline is April 30. I'll announce the winner on Monday, May 2. Please be sure to spell out an e-mail address if you cannot be reached through your blog.