Sunday, August 14, 2011

Mother's In Step ~ A Sonnet

The theme this month at Every Day Poems is sonnets as channeled by Cinderella. This post, "Glass Slipper Sonnets", explains both the form and content of this special limited-brand on offer and urges those game enough to try on either the English or Italian version. The former, I suspect, is the more traditional, bearing a more rounded appeal, though it's centuries behind us; the other's probably quite pointed in the toe, the heel too high, and the height of some fashion, just not that likely to turn up in the most contemporary of literary magazines. Whatever. I know many poets who admire a good-looking, well-fitting shoe.

I couldn't resist the invitation to put in my toes and wiggle them around a bit, despite my preference for flats. And yes, it's true, I ended up favoring the traditional (so unlike me). I must, I really must, leave it to you to decide how well this strangely manufactured thing will wear. Do remember: glass is fragile.

* * * * * 

Mother's In Step ~ A Sonnet

Of jealous sisters ought our Prince beware
Who boast of toe-play with them both or one.
His valets surely would not feign nor bear
What trouble follows tracks long run in fun.

One big foot claims a heel he was to leave,
A fool; the other makes no pretense: he
No oath would swear, but slipper she retrieves
And fits on tight, the cause his fall to knee.

Mother, wicked, her plan in steps she brews
And daughters strain to cast what glass in form
She heats to stretch a shape new-borne. This news
Across the land does rush; the Kingdom storms.

        This Prince this mother fancies yet her own
        And closets spikes on heels she grinds on stones.

© 2011 Maureen E. Doallas

Feel free to concoct your own sonnet to continue the tale. I'd really like to know how the valets and the mother fare.

3 comments:

Megan Willome said...

Just great, Maureen. And I loved your intro, too.

Carol said...

The rigid form works well with the brittle subject!Great take on the Cinderella story.

Steven Page said...

Great blog. I'll be back to hang out.