Monday, December 3, 2012

Monday Muse Writes Holiday Haiku

Last week at TweetSpeakPoetry, Seth Haines included in his post of Top Ten Poetic Picks a wonderful haiku for Biographile's Holiday Haiku Contest (if you want to enter, the deadline is this Thursday, December 6).

Haiku of the Christmas variety? 

I try never to pass up a fun challenge — after all, haiku is this month's theme at TweetSpeakPoetry and Every Day Poems — so I decided to try to write a few of my own five-seven-five-syllable lines, each haiku using the titles of holiday songs and as few other words as possible.  

Let me know which are your favorites. And be sure to drop a link to your own in the Comments section. (You'll find plenty of lists of carols and non-religious holiday songs on the Web.)


Frosty the Snowman
Rockin' 'Round the Christmas Tree:
Let It Snow Snow Snow!


Gabriel's Message:
Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
Walking in the Air.


O, Santa Baby,
Here We Come A-Wassailing.
It's no Blue Christmas.


Christmas Is Coming.
The Friendly Beasts Deck the Halls:
Winter Wonderland.


Little Drummer Boy's
Still, Still, Still this Silent Night.
No Jingle Bell Rock!


Don't Shoot Me, Santa!
I'm Home for the Holidays,
Mistletoe and Wine.


Here Comes Santa Claus.
See, Amid the Winter's Snow
the Christmas Wrapping.


A New York Christmas:
The Night Santa Went Crazy,
the Reindeer Boogie.

© 2012 Maureen E. Doallas


Louise Gallagher said...

Okay -- I love them all! but.... if I must pick my favourite -- that last one rocks!

and... I'm going to have to ponder one too.

You are so amazingly creative.

Maureen said...

I'll look forward to your holiday haiku, Louise. I have quite a few others. I found it difficult to stop writing them.

Elisabeth Kinsey said...

Love these! Thanks for the idea.

nance said...

number two is my fave

Deborah Batterman said...

I like #4 best. And here's one for you

No candle
is ever by itself.
Chanukah rekindled

Deborah Batterman said...

I like #4 best. And here's one for you

No candle
is ever by itself.
Chanukah rekindled

Susan Bearman said...

I like #1 best. Here's mine:

Little dreidel top
Spins lopsided, throwing light
Back at bright faces.

traceybaptiste said...

The string of lights have
Fallen down and their spilled cheer
For the kids to crunch