Monday, December 3, 2012

Monday Muse Writes Holiday Haiku

Last week at TweetSpeakPoetry, Seth Haines included in his post of Top Ten Poetic Picks a wonderful haiku for Biographile's Holiday Haiku Contest (if you want to enter, the deadline is this Thursday, December 6).

Haiku of the Christmas variety? 

I try never to pass up a fun challenge — after all, haiku is this month's theme at TweetSpeakPoetry and Every Day Poems — so I decided to try to write a few of my own five-seven-five-syllable lines, each haiku using the titles of holiday songs and as few other words as possible.  

Let me know which are your favorites. And be sure to drop a link to your own in the Comments section. (You'll find plenty of lists of carols and non-religious holiday songs on the Web.)

1

Frosty the Snowman
Rockin' 'Round the Christmas Tree:
Let It Snow Snow Snow!


2

Gabriel's Message:
Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
Walking in the Air.


3

O, Santa Baby,
Here We Come A-Wassailing.
It's no Blue Christmas.


4

Christmas Is Coming.
The Friendly Beasts Deck the Halls:
Winter Wonderland.


5

Little Drummer Boy's
Still, Still, Still this Silent Night.
No Jingle Bell Rock!


6

Don't Shoot Me, Santa!
I'm Home for the Holidays,
Mistletoe and Wine.


7

Here Comes Santa Claus.
See, Amid the Winter's Snow
the Christmas Wrapping.


8

A New York Christmas:
The Night Santa Went Crazy,
the Reindeer Boogie.

© 2012 Maureen E. Doallas

8 comments:

Louise Gallagher said...

Okay -- I love them all! but.... if I must pick my favourite -- that last one rocks!

and... I'm going to have to ponder one too.

You are so amazingly creative.

Maureen said...

I'll look forward to your holiday haiku, Louise. I have quite a few others. I found it difficult to stop writing them.

Unknown said...

Love these! Thanks for the idea.

Anonymous said...

number two is my fave

Deborah Batterman said...

I like #4 best. And here's one for you

No candle
is ever by itself.
Chanukah rekindled

Deborah Batterman said...

I like #4 best. And here's one for you

No candle
is ever by itself.
Chanukah rekindled

Susan Bearman said...

I like #1 best. Here's mine:

Little dreidel top
Spins lopsided, throwing light
Back at bright faces.

Anonymous said...

The string of lights have
Fallen down and their spilled cheer
For the kids to crunch