Sunday, July 11, 2010

Thought for the Day

You know, the antidote to exhaustion is not rest.
It's wholeheartedness.
~ Monk to David Whyte in Midlife and the Great Unknown

_________________________

Englishman David Whyte is a internationally known poet, author, and in-demand speaker. His poetry often is included in artists' work, as described here


All of Whyte's books are available through Amazon and through Whyte's own site. Whyte's The Three Marriages is available to preview at GoogleBooks.

Filmmaker Scott Garen is producing a documentary on Whyte's life and work. Here's the trailer:


A DVD of Whyte's talk before 1,000 people at San Francisco's historic Herbst Theater in 2009 may be ordered here.

8 comments:

Glynn said...

David Whyte is one of my favorites. his essays and prose on corporate life led me to his poetry. Thanks for highlighting this -- I didn't know there was a documentary in the works.

Anonymous said...

Okay, this is another one I need to start reading. Maureen, you are keeping me on my toes. This man sounds fascinating, and right up my alley.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I just realized that I had actually started reading "The Heart Aroused" a few years back. I forgot. I must not have been ready to "receive" his work, the same way I am today. This is interesting.

S. Etole said...

That quote takes some pondering ...

Joyce Wycoff said...

Thanks so much for the David Whyte trailer ... something to look forward to.

Anonymous said...

i wonder what he has
in his
rolling bag.

Louise Gallagher said...

How funny -- that's exactly what I was wondering nAncY -- and then I wondered... where did he come from? where will he go next?

Thanks Maureen -- as always, your finds are inspiring and captivating.

Hugs

Louise

Dr. Cyndi said...

You just made my day with this post! I love David Whyte - he has inspired me in so many different ways. I look forward to the documentary!