Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Wednesday Wonder: Magician David Blaine

Magic is really simple. It's practice, training, and experimenting
 while pushing through the pain to be the best I can be.
~ David Blaine

He's been Buried Alive and Frozen in Time! He's suffered Vertigo while standing for 35 hours on top of a pillar more than 100 feet high.

But David Blaine isn't just a stunt man.

* * * * *

David Blaine, as some readers may know, is a magician. And magic, as we also know, is all about artful illusion. Illusion doesn't always work, however, as Blaine discovered when he decided to break the world record for holding his breath under water.

In this TED Talk, Blaine describes the experience of learning what he had to do to achieve a world record. He explored the possibilities of many "insane ideas" and found himself up against barriers he had not expected, each one of which he took as a serious challenge.

As a magician, I think everything is possible.
 If it's done by one person, it can be done by anybody.

Watch as Blaine works everything out while pushing through his pain.


David Blaine's bio is here.


New York Times article on Blaine is here.
__________________________


REMEMBER Haiti!
Stand With Haiti

6 comments:

Billy Coffey said...

I love David Blaine, and I always take the time to sit and watch whenever he's on television. They're tricks, yes. Illusions. Sleights of hand. But they're amazing, and they whisper for you to believe in the improbable. We need more of that.

Louise Gallagher said...

We absolutley do need more of that -- it isn't just in magic that everything is possible, it's in life.

thanks Maureen!

I am always in awe of people who live their passion fearlessly doing the impossible!

Kelly Sauer said...

wow... this guy does a lot of stuff I would never, never consider doing. what a way to live, though...

Duane Scott said...

Cool. I can hold my breathe for 1 minute. Maybe I should try this sort of career.

sarah said...

so amazing!

Dr. Cyndi said...

Even the picture makes me feel sort of edgy and uncomfortable. I don't know how he lives on that edge, day after day!