Tuesday, March 10, 2015

After Holly Friesen's 'Apparition'

After Holly Friesen's Apparition

What haunts that corner
of the canvas, the haint
become bluer than black,
as you, recessed
within bramble and weed
and cat o'nines, strike once
the call of the loon.

© 2015 Maureen E. Doallas

Holly Friesen's diptych Apparition (acrylic on canvas) is the inspiration for this poem, which I have revised slightly since leaving it in the comments on FaceBook. An image of Holly's painting can be seen in the section "From the Water" at Holly Friesen's Website.

Holly Friesen on FaceBook

Also see my poem "A Ladder Our Boat", inspired by Holly's painting Warrior Canoe. Mark Neys used the poem in his video remix at The Poetry Storehouse.

3 comments:

Maureen said...

Some have asked me about my use of the word "haint". The word is a southern colloquialism for ghost, apparition, lost soul. I first used it in my poem "Southern Dream Catcher', which is published in Felder Rushing's book "Bottle Trees".

Patrice said...

I'm a long time follower of Holly Friesen. first through her blog and now everywhere! Love your poem! Now I shall have to be a follower of you as well! I love Neruda and will be looking for your book.

Maureen said...

Thank you, Patrice.

I look forward to hearing what you think of "Neruda's Memoirs". The title is taken from one of the poems in the book.