Monday, March 15, 2010

Thoughts Upon Seeing Alice in 3D (Poem)

Thoughts Upon Seeing Alice in 3D

No doubt you
have some special talent

In my dreams. Not everyone,
after all, is born

With such a figment
for suspended animation

As you, so head o'er heels,
gyre and gimble in the wabe

Of whiffling tulgey wood and
borogoves. But — and, mind you

There's always a but
for to reason and wrestle — I wish

You'd make your mimsy more
beware. Words lobbed

One hemisphere over another
wither sense and numbers

Get turned 'round and cards
do battle white against red and

Black knight banished not with love and
teapots upset and, oh dear, yes,

A rabbit dressed in morning coat
serves up no one's snicker-snack! Would

Mad Hatter had burbled on for
me as Tweedledum does Tweedledee

As he does Alice, too, and galumphing
back behind White Queen

Before the Red is dead, bow
deep and spell me, as his wont, his

Eyes to spin and brain to
freeze. What more might leave you

Stunned? Your drug of choice not mine
numbs the stress and press of time

At the back of the neck like thumbs
on screws. Meanwhile, I up from the hole

Down went, remove such rose-colored glasses
as Alice, herself returned quite right

In head, does her own fair bidding
best, a jib to Hatter's jig and jag of

Glorious nonsense. Callooh! Callay!
Callay! Callooh!

Jabberwocky be pitied
not.

© 2010 Maureen E. Doallas. All Rights Reserved.
_________________________

I wrote this poem for Carry On Tuesday's prompt for March 16: to use the opening of Isabel Allende's 1999 novel Daughter of FortuneEveryone is born with some special talent — wholly or partly in an original poem or prose piece. Links to contributions from all the participants in Carry on Tuesday #44 are here.

With appreciation for Lewis Carroll's Jabberwocky poem from Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There (1872):

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves
And the mome raths outgrabe.
. . . .
. . . .

I took a bit of creative license with the words, may Lewis Carroll forgive me.

15 comments:

katdish said...

We're leaving in a little while to go see this movie. Can't wait to read this again once I've seen it. And thanks again for your thoughts on the movie.

Anonymous said...

tis a bit of fun!
well done.

L.L. Barkat said...

Now that was fun. :)

Stan Ski said...

I've read the book and seen plays, movies etc. Tim Burton's latest pic looks like the best adaptation yet.

L.L. Barkat said...

Maureen, you are so funny. Your comment on Love Notes made me laugh. :)

Glynn said...

What an imagaintion -- and how close you stick to the original!

Julie Jordan Scott said...

love moving into the final climax of....

"jabberwocky be pitied not"

lovely... and I think Mr. Carroll would be pleased....

Kelly Sauer said...

[love]!!!

katdish said...

Oh, I loved this movie! Especially in 3D. It was a visually beautiful experience.

b+ (Retire In Style Blog) said...

I love this "bit of nonsense". It is so much fun to play with word, especially Lewis Carroll's.

robkistner said...

I enjoyed this quite a lot, well done...

...rob
Image & Verse

Laura said...

This was so fun, Maureen. You are so talented. You just amaze me with your gift for words.

Unknown said...

Thoroughly enjoyed. Glad to follow this one.

Lilibeth said...

I have to agree that Carroll had special talents. It's not everyone who can make so much sense out of nonsense and entertain at the same time.

Anonymous said...

I simply adore this. I've read it three times now and I love it more every time.