Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Cold Can Be Beautiful (Poem)


Cold Can Be Beautiful

Baby, slice wedges
of snow for pillows;

I'll frost the covers
of our soft, fluffy bed

with roses the color
of meringue.

Let your eye wander
over this storied white

landscape; be patient!
We can weather-watch

alone forever, or catalog
that sweet, tender unrest

of yours in steamy words
and phrases that warm

my tattooed ears. Tracking
your breaths, that litany

of murmurs composed
for delicate skin fragrant

as June, I curl into your
sweet hollows, ask if

every night in this cold
can be beautiful.

2016 © Maureen E. Doallas
__________________________________

This found poem is inspired by a TweetSpeak Poetry post, "Top 10 Pillow Poems", a roundup by LW Lindquist for "Poem on Your Pillow Day" (May 3, 2016).

2 comments:

Peggy Rosenthal said...

Delightful. I'm in awe of what you manage to do with found poetry.
I had to smile at the "tattooed ears". Can't imagine that you have them--which reminds me that a poem's persona is often not the poet!

Callie Carling said...

Beautifully descriptive and evocative - I love your poem. 'With roses the colour of meringue' ... aaaaaaahhh x