Sunday, January 24, 2010

Upcoming Challenge for Haiti


I participate with a wonderful group of people in the One Word at a Time Blog Carnival. Every two weeks those who take part in the Carnival blog in poetry or prose about a specific word. This Tuesday the word for the Carnival is "peace". I will be participating.

I plan to do something a little out of the ordinary this time. In addition to posting my poem and linking my post to others' posts for the Carnival, I will be running a Challenge for Haiti. It will work like this: For every posted comment about my poem for the Blog Carnival, I will make a donation to the Vassar Haiti Project. (I wrote about the VHP on Friday; you may read that post here.) My donation goal is $100. That means I will donate $1.00 for every posted comment up to a maximum of 100 comments.

Image Above: "Mountains Beyond Mountains" by Haitian Adrien Seide. Courtesy of Vassar Haiti Project.

I would be thrilled if others taking part in Tuesday's Carnival would consider adopting my idea. Let me know by 5:00 p.m. EST Monday (tomorrow) and I'll add your site link at the bottom of my post with the amount you'll be donating (or matching) and the relief aid organization to which you'll be donating. Any amount will help Haiti.

Please join us Tuesday for the Blog Carnival and help meet the Challenge for Haiti.

_______________________

The Blog Carnival is on FaceBook. Links to posts for the Carnival appear either here or here on the Tuesday the Carnival takes place. I'll have a direct link from my post for January 26.

Below is the badge for another excellent organization accepting donations for Haiti. PHP has more than two decades of experience delivering health care to the poorest areas of the island nation.

REMEMBER HAITI!

Stand With Haiti

10 comments:

Joyce Wycoff said...

Maureen ... I'll definitely do a matching thing and will try to do the poetry, too. Thanks for all your compassion and generosity.

Louise Gallagher said...

Maureen, count me in too! You are amazing. Thank you for continually inspiring me to live up to my higher good.

Heather Sunseri said...

I'll be joining in this effort. I've already written and posted my post on peace (I blog every Monday, so I'm a little early), but I will mention in the morning on my blog that I will contribute $1 for every comment on that post up to $100 to Week of Compassion, where 100% of my donation will go to Haiti.

Thanks for challenging us to join this effort to provide peace to Haiti.

Maureen said...

Joyce, Louise, Heather: You are terrific. Thank you for taking part in the challenge. Blessings.

Kevin said...

Awesome idea Maureen! I too will be participating in the blog carnival and in raising money for Haiti. I will give $2 for every comment (up to $200) to FAIR (Fellowship Agency for International Relief). You can read more about what they are doing here: http://www.fellowship.ca/qry/page.taf?id=237

Ginny (MAD21) said...

LOVE the idea. I will absolutely be participating. I will donate $2 for every comment made on my Peace article from publish time tomorrow, through Sunday at midnight. Donation will go to Samaritan's Purse.

Thanks, Maureen!

Maureen said...

Kevin and Ginny, awesome! Thank you. It's so wonderful to watch the spirit catching.

JoAnne Bennett said...

Hi Maureen, I would love to be a part of the challenge. I will donate $1.00 (up to $100.00) as well for every comment made on my Peace article for the Blog Carnival from the publish time tommorow through the following Tuesday. Like Ginny, I would like my donation to go towards Samaritan's Purse. Thanks!

Maureen said...

Wonderful, JoAnne. Thank you.

tsholo said...

Hi Maureen, I will also be participating in the challenge. I will donate $1.00 (up to $50.00) as well for every comment made on my Peace article for the Blog Carnival and will be donating to the World Vision Haiti relief. Thanks for doing this! and thanks to everyone else participating.