Sunday, June 5, 2011

The Color Purple (Poem)


Rob Hanson, "Purple Phase"
Copyright © Rob Hanson


The Color Purple

A purple lip
doesn't sign as bruise.
Check the veins.
Thin red lines
expose pulse, direct defense
away from old scars.

© 2011 Maureen E. Doallas
_______________________________

I offer this poem, in Shadorma form, for One Shoot Sunday at One Stop Poetry, which today features Part 1 of an interview with photographer Rob Hanson and several images of his work as inspiration for the Picture Prompt Challenge. I selected Hanson's "Purple Phase", above. Go here to read the interview and then scroll down for instructions on how to contribute an original poem or flash fiction to today's challenge.

10 comments:

Laura said...

so beautiful and lovely with your photo Maureen.

Maureen said...

Thank you, Laura. The photo is not mine but Rob Hanson's, as I indicate.

The photo, by the way, has tremendous definition. Just click it on to enlarge it and see what I mean.

Glynn said...

Beautiful, Maureen. I especially like "doesn't sign as bruise."

Anonymous said...

I could see it under your microscope...

dustus said...

Some great wordplay. "Check the veins" and "expose pulse" also bring it a human level... "direct defense/ away from old scars" is a wise line. I enjoy reading your Shadormas, Maureen.

Jenne' R. Andrews said...

Yes-- your way of seeing amazing. I picked same photo to write of later. xj

Ruth said...

These lines make me think of living wholly, the rivers of our veins carrying life through everything. Lovely.

S. Etole said...

I almost missed this beauty!

L.L. Barkat said...

Delicious little simple poem.

gautami tripathy said...

sweet poem..


clogs and wheels